Senior systems administrator with a passion for automation and devops culture.
Strong skills in Linux, scripting (PHP and Bash), configuration management (puppet) and webhosting environments.
- Deployed and managed a loadbalanced multi-master puppet infrastructure.
- Provisioned and managed a 40 node hadoop cluster with Cloudera and puppet.
- Automated the adding of servers to backups, puppet and monitoring.
- Automated the deployment of virtual cPanel linux servers.
- Creation of puppet manifests and modules for the post deployment configuration and management of hypervisors, cPanel servers (both customer servers and shared hosting servers) and complex hosting customers.
- Standardisation and automated installation of backups on all managed cPanel servers.
- Creation of PHP classes and scripts used for the day to day management and automation of systems and infrastructure including automated migration of virtual servers between hosts.
- Developed tools to allow the management of virtual servers (suspend,power state,resize,migration) from within the servers racktables page.
- Deployed and managed a HA syslog cluster with graylog/elasticsearch, logging in excess of 1 billion lines a day.
- Daily use of CentOS for the installation and management of customer servers, shared hosting servers, and hypervisors.
- Experience with the setup, configuration and management of Apache/Nginx, MySQL and PHP.
- Strong monitoring skills using Nagios.
- Experience with high availability setups using haproxy, keepalived, and MySQL replication.
- Administration of hadoop (HDFS/HBase/MapReduce) using Cloudera and Ambari/Hortonworks.
- Experience with HA syslogging, using graylog/elasticsearch.
- Use of zfs for the management of backup servers.
- Experience with the setup, configuration and management of load balanced multi master FreeIPA for SSO/LDAP authentication on servers and web services.
Scripting and configuration management
- Strong skills with puppet to manage and configure physical and virtual servers.
- Scripting in PHP and Bash for automation and systems administration tasks.
- Written various nagios checks in PHP and Bash.
- Basic ruby from writing custom puppet facts.
- Basic perl from forking nagios checks.
- Use of Xen and KVM for the provisioning of customer virtual servers.
- Daily management of over 3000 virtual servers.
- Installation of servers into racks.
- Hardware upgrades/replacements.
- Installation of cabling.
- Use of racktables for asset management.
- Command line configuration of interface changes on Juniper switches.
- Creation and management of firewall policies in Junos.
- Installation and configuration of Windows servers to meet customer requirements.
- Configuration of roles such as IIS and Terminal Services.
April 2017 - Present
Senior Systems Administrator: GoDaddy
- Automation of server deployment/configuration, bare metal provisioning, and network changes.
- Escalation contact for 3rd line/internal customers.
- Development and management of internal server backup solutions.
- Creation of tools to allow easier management of systems.
October 2013 - April 2017
Senior Systems Administrator: Paragon Internet Group
- Automation of systems and infrastructure.
- Proactive monitoring of systems/on call rotation.
- Escalation contact for managed/complex hosting customers.
- Troubleshooting/fixing of complex hosting issues.
- Provisioning and configuration of servers to internal/external customer requirements.
- Training/mentoring of junior staff.
September 2012 - October 2013
Systems Administrator: Paragon Internet Group
- Escalated point of contact for customer enquiries.
- Troubleshooting of website, email, and hosting issues.
- Provisioning of virtual and dedicated servers.
- Configuration of servers to a customers requirements.
- Configuration and optimisation of servers.
- Proactive monitoring of systems.
August 2011 - September 2012
Technical Support: Paragon Internet Group
- First point of contact for customer enquiries.
- Troubleshooting of website/email/hosting issues.
- Helping with pre-sales/technical enquiries.
- Dealing with billing issues and refunds.
June 2010 to June 2011
ICT Apprentice Engineer: tech-i IT consultancy
- Designed, implemented and maintained tech-i LAN services.
- Designed and assembled rack mounted servers to host Windows Server 2008, Ubuntu and a Smoothwall router/firewall for the office.
- Full asset management and cable management of tech-i resources.
- Hardware performance evaluation and troubleshooting.
- Web service application testing for myguide.
December 2006 to August 2009
Customer Support and Logistics analyst: Thames Water
- Scanning of samples into Sample Manager.
- Resolving sample registration enquiries.
- Sorting and distributing samples to the analytical teams.
- Provision and distribution of pre-treated sample bottles.
- Decontamination and disposal of analysed samples.
- Maintaining the laboratory's intranet site and the customer enquiry database.
- Sorting and distributing deliveries to the analytical teams.
March 2006 to December 2006
Inorganic chemistry analyst: Thames Water
- Operating the sampling equipment and monitoring/reporting results.
- Testing water samples for: Turbidity, Colour, pH and Conductivity to conform to the Drinking Water Inspectorate regulations.
- Making up standards and calibration solutions following laboratory procedure.
- Reporting results onto the sample manager system.
- Calibrating analytical equipment.
- Helping out with general laboratory duties.
2005 Maiden Erlegh Comprehensive School
GCSE – English Language C
2004 Chiltern Edge Comprehensive School
Classic car restoration, photography, reading, camping.